One last shot, Come on baby just one last shot
Must be introspective week on Discovery cause I’m a raring to go. On this episode kiddies we meet our hero, JamaicaVanWyck during a very important transition period of his life. Let’s take a snapshot of what’s going on so we can really appreciate the what it feels like to be in “transition”.
First to poker, Old JamaicaVanWyck has fallen prey to Partypoker’s free 30 dollar giveaway. He feels like Ewan McGreggor in Trainspotting when he took that last hit. It’s good, ooohhhhh its really fucking good! Tried to play the opposite of my usual style. I either raised or folded – nothing more nothing less. I also jammed after the flop and the turn. I find that when I do this in no-limit I have success, in limit I have a problem. I’ve never really taken the time to focus on my limit play and I think that’s the reason for this phenomenon. So, I’ll play no limit till I lose it all – I give myself till Thursday.
Now, on to our career. Huston, we have a problem. Since my two years graduating law school, I’ve worked exclusively for the government. The Government pays dick – period. In addition, law firms and in-house counsel’s don’t really respect the experience. Sooooo, I’ve got to get out of here and get some real firm experience. No problem, this year’s I’ve been doing a lot of private equity and some project finance work, not to mention generic contracts and a little negotiation so I think I’ll have what it takes to get in as a first year in a corporate legal practice (they pay O-K by the way, we’re looking at 125 to 150). Problem, I don’t like law and I’m bored with finance law. That is a big problem because its hard to change practice areas once you’ve picked one. I can’t wait around here or I’ll lose my mobility so I have to make a decision. Last week I looked inward and decided to focus on things I like to do. Well what the fuck do you like to do tough guy. I like movies, I like martial arts, I like uhhhhhh, Poker? OK so movies and marital arts – can’t get paid kicking ass when you weigh 150 and you haven’t trained since 00. So Movies… Now film is cool but I think cable might be better. With the phone companies and satellite taking it to Time Warner and Cablevision, there might be room for opportunity. But do I want to give up the flexibility of corporate work. I work with a lot of rich people and I’ve learned the pedigree tends to give you opportunities in leadership positions or entrepreneurial financial or strategy shops that secretly run our capitalist society. I mean, when Lionsgate looks for a CEO, they usually look for someone with a Harvard MBA that worked for Goldman in Media. It makes sense because those people are trained to think big picture. I don’t want to be a corporate lawyer but I’m NOT getting an MBA unless someone pays for it. I think, media is the industry for me but how do I get in? It’s difficult to get a position as an entertainment lawyer with no experience. I’ve been volunteering but I know what real experience is, and that’s not it. So, what am I to do? Someone asked me, what do you think would be a good job for you? I think running Mirimax would do it. Now that I know that, How do I get there? I’ve only got 6 months to work it out?
Then I think, what the f*ck are you bitching about, their bombing each other in the middle east – would you rather be there. I think I’m going to take a vacation this weekend – that means I’m going to find someone with an apartment that has a terrace, and make island drinks. I’ll keep volunteering with these indi-movie houses and take some CLE’s maybe then I’ll get a shot – if not, it might be time to go for the money.
***
He should have armed himself, if he was gonna decorate his door with my friend.
First to poker, Old JamaicaVanWyck has fallen prey to Partypoker’s free 30 dollar giveaway. He feels like Ewan McGreggor in Trainspotting when he took that last hit. It’s good, ooohhhhh its really fucking good! Tried to play the opposite of my usual style. I either raised or folded – nothing more nothing less. I also jammed after the flop and the turn. I find that when I do this in no-limit I have success, in limit I have a problem. I’ve never really taken the time to focus on my limit play and I think that’s the reason for this phenomenon. So, I’ll play no limit till I lose it all – I give myself till Thursday.
Now, on to our career. Huston, we have a problem. Since my two years graduating law school, I’ve worked exclusively for the government. The Government pays dick – period. In addition, law firms and in-house counsel’s don’t really respect the experience. Sooooo, I’ve got to get out of here and get some real firm experience. No problem, this year’s I’ve been doing a lot of private equity and some project finance work, not to mention generic contracts and a little negotiation so I think I’ll have what it takes to get in as a first year in a corporate legal practice (they pay O-K by the way, we’re looking at 125 to 150). Problem, I don’t like law and I’m bored with finance law. That is a big problem because its hard to change practice areas once you’ve picked one. I can’t wait around here or I’ll lose my mobility so I have to make a decision. Last week I looked inward and decided to focus on things I like to do. Well what the fuck do you like to do tough guy. I like movies, I like martial arts, I like uhhhhhh, Poker? OK so movies and marital arts – can’t get paid kicking ass when you weigh 150 and you haven’t trained since 00. So Movies… Now film is cool but I think cable might be better. With the phone companies and satellite taking it to Time Warner and Cablevision, there might be room for opportunity. But do I want to give up the flexibility of corporate work. I work with a lot of rich people and I’ve learned the pedigree tends to give you opportunities in leadership positions or entrepreneurial financial or strategy shops that secretly run our capitalist society. I mean, when Lionsgate looks for a CEO, they usually look for someone with a Harvard MBA that worked for Goldman in Media. It makes sense because those people are trained to think big picture. I don’t want to be a corporate lawyer but I’m NOT getting an MBA unless someone pays for it. I think, media is the industry for me but how do I get in? It’s difficult to get a position as an entertainment lawyer with no experience. I’ve been volunteering but I know what real experience is, and that’s not it. So, what am I to do? Someone asked me, what do you think would be a good job for you? I think running Mirimax would do it. Now that I know that, How do I get there? I’ve only got 6 months to work it out?
Then I think, what the f*ck are you bitching about, their bombing each other in the middle east – would you rather be there. I think I’m going to take a vacation this weekend – that means I’m going to find someone with an apartment that has a terrace, and make island drinks. I’ll keep volunteering with these indi-movie houses and take some CLE’s maybe then I’ll get a shot – if not, it might be time to go for the money.
***
He should have armed himself, if he was gonna decorate his door with my friend.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home